Thursday 14 July 2011

Somewhere to Lay My Head

A hotel doesn't need to do much just to be OK.  If it is clean and warm and has a comfy bed and decent ablutions, most guests will be content.  The food doesn't even have to be brilliant; in many places it's room-only anyway.   Location might be a consideration, though I'm guessing that most people check this out when choosing where to stay.  That and the price.  Get those things right and your guests should go away happy.

Most places go beyond the basics these days, so expect to find free toiletries and a tv set.  Perhaps there will be other personal appliances like hair dryers and irons too and, of course, the makings of a hot drink.  These should make guests even happier.
So here's my problem.
If you're going to go to the trouble and expense of putting multi-channel tv into your hotel rooms, why wouldn't you go to the trouble of making sure all the channels are properly tuned-in?  How often have I had conversations with fellow guests who I have been watching channels I can't get, and vice versa?  Too often!  And it shouldn't be too difficult to check the batteries in the remote control handset still have life in them.
When I arrive at your hotel I want  enjoy a coffee whist I unpack.  Then perhaps I will  go out on the town, getting back as late as I like, and have another coffee or two watching tv before turning-in, get a good night's sleep.  In the morning you can make an early pre-breakfast coffee and you're ready to face the day.  Right?
Wrong!
You get two tea bags and four tubes of coffee per guest and, here's the killer, two cartons of milk.  I have hardly ever had a room where I didn't wish there was twice as much.  The milk is generally long-life and comes in little packs that keep it fresh for weeks, so why wouldn't they leave plenty?  The desk staff are always happy to supply more on request, but I'd rather not have to put them to the trouble.
I guess it's little niggles like these that irritate everybody but are so trivial  that nobody bothers to grumble.
All I'm saying is: if you're going to do it, do it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment